About Cadogan Place South Garden
Henry Holland, architect to the Georgian aristocracy, began the Hans Town development in 1777 on 89 acres of open field and marsh leased from the Cadogan family. At the end of the 18th century this site was called the London Botanic Garden, incorporating a school and library. In the 19th century the garden was renamed Cadogan Place Garden. On the south lawn are a group of Mulberry trees thought to have been planted at the end of the 17th century for the production of silk, though as these are the black variety these would not have been the correct variety. The garden was badly damaged by the effects of the 1987 hurricane, when many mature trees including plane trees were destroyed. In the re-planting process a greater variety of ornamental trees were used which in turn has provided more year round interest and opened the garden to more light with the removal of dense shading the plane trees created. The last few years have seen replanting of full sun areas to more drought tolerant species to reduce water use and extend the flowering season through to late summer, as well as extension of the herbaceous border. 2024 has also seen the introduction of an ornamental grass border with a Heptacodium miconoides as the focal point.
Website:
https://www.cadogan.co.uk