Tasty flapjacks with a chocolate twist
Quick and easy to bake, flapjacks are a fantastic addition to your Great British Garden Party spread. This versatile recipe allows you to add your own personal twist, from the dried fruits you include to the blooms you decorate them with. For a vegan-friendly option, simply swap the butter and golden syrup with coconut oil.
Too much cake leftover at your garden party? Have some goody bags ready for your guests to fill and make a donation to take away. Or package up your flapjacks to sell as souvenirs!
Preheat the oven to 150C.
In a pan, melt the butter then add the golden syrup and sugar.
- Stir gently, and when combined take off the heat.
- Stir in the porridge oats and your dried fruits. Crumble in the chocolate and mix together.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow tin (make sure it’s lined with baking paper!) and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes – or until golden brown on top.
- Once cooked, sprinkle any leftover chocolate on top and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Cut the flapjacks into squares. If they’re a little crumbly, pop them in the fridge for an hour or so.
- When serving at your Great British Garden Party, use seasonal blooms from your garden to decorate.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 8oz golden syrup
- 8oz butter
- 8oz sugar (dark brown sugar is best)
- 14oz porridge oats
- A sprinkle of dried fruits (we used cranberries for a touch of sweetness)
- Dark chocolate (a crumbled up bar works well)
- Seasonal flowers to decorate