Apple cake with pecan nut streusel
Macmillan Cancer Support have supplied this delicious recipe to get us excited for the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning, which takes place on 24th September 2021.
Every Coffee Morning comes in different shapes, sizes and slices! From good old coffee and cake, to a posh prosecco tea-party and everything in-between. However you host it, your Coffee Morning is a fun way to get your friends and loved ones together to support a great cause. Each pound donated means Macmillan can be there for more people affected by cancer.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm spring form cake tin.
- Put the cooking apple into a pan with 1 tsp of water. Cover and cook over a low heat until softened. Beat well to form a puree. Stir in the cinnamon and cloves and set aside. Toss the eating apple pieces in lemon juice, set aside.
- Rub 15g of butter into 25g of flour. Stir in the demerara sugar and half of the nuts, set aside.
- Beat the remaining butter and muscovado sugar together until lighter in colour and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs then the apple puree. Sieve the flour into the bowl and fold into the mixture with the remaining nuts.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin. Scatter the eating apple pieces and the pecan nut streusel mixture over the top. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then release and cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a little yogurt or cream.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 400g cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
- 1 eating apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 165g butter
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1tbsp demerara sugar
- 100g pecan nuts (or hazelnuts), roughly chopped
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2tsp icing sugar
- natural yogurt or cream to serve