We have a delicious summer recipe on the menu, which comes from Pauline, a volunteer receptionist at Marie Curie Hospice in Bradford.
- The carrot roses can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container for 2 weeks.
- To make the carrot roses place water and sugar in a pan and slowly bring to the boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the carrot strips and simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove from pan and roll each strip into a rose shape.
- Place on greaseproof paper and either leave on a warm windowsill for 24 hours or place in over at 100 C for 1 hour to allow to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 25cm round cake tin (or split mixture into 2 halves and use 2 tins). Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon and salt, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the 225g butter, dark brown soft sugar and caster sugar. Stir in the eggs and the orange juice. Add the sifted dry ingredients, mix well. Finally, fold in the walnuts, raisins and carrots. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin/s.
- Bake for 1 hour (or 40 minutes if using 2 tins) in the preheated oven, until a tester comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing, in a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, vanilla, 110g butter and icing sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.
- Decorate with candied carrot roses and 18 half walnut pieces.
Pauline, one of Marie Curies lovely volunteers, enjoying the cake.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 375g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 225g butter, softened
- 220g dark brown soft sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 125g chopped walnuts
- 150g sultanas or raisins
- 440g grated carrot
For the icing
- 225g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 110g butter
- 160g icing sugar
For the candied carrot roses
- 1 carrot peeled into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 50g caster sugar
- 50ml water