Cherry and Almond Loaf Cake
This delicious cherry and almond loaf cake by Horatio’s Garden is our recipe of the month for August. A slice of this sweet, simple bake is the perfect treat to enjoy in the garden this summer, especially when accompanied by a big mug of tea!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Set aside 5 whole cherries with the stalks still attached. Halve and destone the rest.
- Beat together the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes or until light, then slowly add the eggs. Sift in the 150g flour, then add the ground almonds and almond extract. Mix to combine.
- Spoon one-third of the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. Toss the halved cherries in the remaining 2 tbsp flour and scatter half over the cake batter. Top with another third of batter, then with the remaining cherries. Finish with the remaining batter.
- Bake for about 55-60 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Then remove from the tin and transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the decoration. Put the caster sugar in a small saucepan with 50ml water. Place over a low heat and bubble for 2-3 minutes until thick, then remove from the heat. Sit the whole cherries in the syrup for a few minutes, then carefully transfer to a sheet of baking parchment and allow to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add 15-20ml of water. Mix until smooth with a drizzling consistency. Spoon over the cooled cake, letting it run down the sides, then top with the glazed cherries.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 375g cherries, destoned
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g self-raising flour, plus 2 tbsp
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 50g caster sugar
- 125g icing sugar