Horatio’s Garden recipe of the month for November
The National Garden Scheme has been supporting Horatio’s Garden since 2015 and has donated £255,000 to-date to help the charity create and care for beautiful accessible gardens in NHS regional spinal injury centres.
This month, Horatio’s Garden supporter, Emma, shares her mum’s secret recipe for ginger biscuits. The warmth of the ginger and the combination of crisp and chewy will bring plenty of comfort and joy this November!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes – but check at 15!
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease two baking trays with butter.
- Melt the sugar, butter/margarine, and syrup in a pan. Do not boil.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the beaten egg.
- Make small balls with a teaspoon of the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, check after 10minutes. They should be golden and ‘crazed’ all over.
- 7oz sugar
- 4oz golden syrup
- 4oz margarine or butter
- 12oz self-raising flour
- 2 tspn ground ginger
- ¼ tspn cinnamon
- 1 level tspn bicarbonate of soda
- 1 beaten egg