Mary Berry’s ginger and treacle traybake
To celebrate our 90th Anniversary this month, our brilliant President has given us a delicious cake recipe perfect to enjoy with a cup of tea in the garden!
Mary Berry’s Ginger and Treacle Traybake is a mouthwatering mix of warming ginger and decadent treacle, and makes a wonderful 90th birthday cake.
Treacle can be difficult to weigh accurately as it tends to stick to the scale pan. Weighing the treacle on top of the sugar overcomes this problem. This traybake freezes well un-iced.
Makes about 15-20 slices
- Cut a rectangle of non stick baking parchment to fit the base and sides of a 30 x 23 x 4 cm (12 x 9 x 1 ½ inches) traybake tin or roasting tin. Grease the tin and then line with the paper, pushing it neatly into the corners of the tin. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas 4.
- Measure all the ingredients for the traybake into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes until well blended. A hand held electric mixer is best for this but of course you can also mix it by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, scraping the sides of the bowl with a plastic spatula to remove all the mixture. Level the top gently with the back of the spatula.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35-40 minutes until the traybake springs back when pressed lightly with a finger in the centre and is beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin. Allow the traybake to cool a little, then remove the cake from the tin by easing the paper away from the sides of the tin. Turn onto a cooling rack, remove the lining paper and leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing; mix the icing sugar and syrup together in a small bowl until smooth and a spreading consistency. Pour the icing over the cake, spread gently to the edges with a small palette knife and sprinkle with the chopped stem ginger to decorate. Allow the icing to set before slicing the traybake to serve.
Recipe is taken from Mary Berry’s Baking Bible (BBC Books).
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 225g (8 oz) margarine, softened
- 175g (6 oz) light muscovado sugar
- 200g (7 oz) black treacle
- 300g (11 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 3 bulbs of stem ginger from a jar, chopped finely
- 75g (3 oz) sieved icing sugar
- about 3 tablespoons stem ginger syrup from the jar
- 3 bulbs stem ginger from a jar, chopped finely