Sussie Bell’s nettle soup
If you want to get rid of your garden nettles – eat them! They are a great source of iron and vitamin C – but remember to wear gloves when picking as the stinging feeling can last for hours.
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Don a pair of gloves and use scissors to cut a colander full of nettle top shoots. Avoid big stems. Spring is the perfect time.
- Fry the onions till soft, then add the celery, potato and celeriac.
- Season with mixed herbs or thyme and pepper.
- Add the stock after 5 mins and let it cook for a further 10-15mins.
- Add the nettle leaves, simmer for 1-2 mins.
- Blend the soup and then add the butter and crème fraiche and a bit of nutmeg.
- Season more if required.
Photograph by Sussie Bell
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 large potato (diced)
- 1 handful of diced celeriac (optional)
- 750 ml of vegetable stock
- Thyme or/and mixed herbs
- 1 colander full of nettles (just the top shoots, no big stems)
- 25g of butter
- 3 tbsp of crème fraiche (or cream)
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste