Devil’s food cake
The National Garden Scheme has been supporting Parkinson’s UK since 2012, donating over £1 million in that time to help drive better care, treatments and quality of life for those living with Parkinson’s.
For this month’s recipe, Parkinson’s UK President, Jane Asher, shares her recipe for the perfect devil’s food cake.
For the sponge
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (160°C fan assisted, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and line the bottom of two 8” sandwich tins
- Cream the butter and sugar together and beat well until really pale and fluffy
- Add the egg, little by little, beating well all the time
- Stir in the flour, very gently, bit by bit (or use the pulse setting on the mixer, and add the flour through the feed tube in spoonfuls)
- Stir the bicarbonate into the milk, then add it to the cake mix, stirring all the time
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water or in the microwave (this takes about 2 – 2½ minutes on full power). Let it cool a little, then stir gently into the cake mix
- Turn the mix into the sandwich tins, dividing it evenly, and smooth the tops
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cakes are springy or a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes in the tins, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely
For the chocolate fudge icing
Put everything into a small saucepan and stir over low heat until the chocolate and butter have melted and it becomes a smooth mixture. Remove from the heat and let it cool until it’s spreadable.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
Ingredients for the sponge
- 250g light soft brown sugar
- 75g spreadable butter
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 175g plain flour
- 200ml milk
- 75g dark chocolate drops
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Ingredients for the icing
- 150g dark chocolate drops
- 90g butter
- 160ml condensed milk