Roasted pumpkin soup
Embrace Halloween weekend and the beginning of autumn by giving this delicious pumpkin soup recipe a try!
- Before you start: Stick blender (or large jug blender like a vitamix) | Oven pre-heated to 180°C | Large roasting tray | Large saucepan
- To make the roast pumpkin: Top, tail and peel the pumpkin, taking out the seeds, and chop the flesh into 1-inch chunks, then place on a baking tray (leaving a small gap at one end) | Place a few tablespoons of the seeds and place on the baking tray | Feel and finely slice the shallots, then place a third onto the baking tray. Add a couple of peeled garlic cloves to the tray, then sprinkle over ½ tbsp oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper | Put the tray in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft.
- To make the soup base: Peel the carrots and roughly chop both the carrots and celery sticks Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and add the carrot and celery and the remaining shallot slices | Add a generous pinch of salt and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened | Pour in the stock and bring to the boil | Cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the veg is completely cooked through | Add the pumpkin from the oven and a good squeeze of juice from the orange (catching any pips) then stir everything together | Blend until smooth and silky, with either a stick blender or a large jug blender | Top with the crispy onions (if using), seeds and a drizzle of coconut cream.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
Recipe by: BOSH!
- 1 cooking pumpkin, approx 1.5kg
- 4 shallots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 + 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 large carrots
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds or mixed seeds
- Crispy onions (optional)
- 2-4 tbsp coconut cream for drizzling