Seasonal courgette chutney
If you have a glut of courgettes this September, this chutney is the perfect solution! This recipe will make roughly 1.5kg, and is delicious with cold meats or to add seasonal flavour to a sandwich.
- Put the courgettes into a colander and sprinkle with salt, leaving for 2 hours then rinse & pat dry
- Then add courgettes to a preserving pan with the remaining ingredients with the exception of the walnuts and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer until thickened & then add in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
A special thank you to National Garden Scheme volunteer, Christine Sanderson, for sharing this family recipe.
- 750g courgettes – sliced
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- 250g ripe tomatoes - skinned & chopped
- 125g chopped onions
- 125g sultanas
- 1 tbsp coarsely grated orange zest
- 500g light brown sugar
- 350ml cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g chopped walnuts