Susie’s marrow and ginger chutney
Susie, a resident at Leonard Cheshire’s supported living service Bells Piece, loves growing marrows. When asked what she likes most about her delicious marrow and ginger chutney, she said, “Eating it!”
- Peel the marrow and remove the seeds. Cut the flesh into inch size cubes. Peel and mince shallots and onions.
- Place all in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and leave overnight.
- Transfer to a large saucepan, add ginger, cayenne, sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Simmer gently for 2 hours, stirring often when the mixture starts to thicken.
- Pour into warm, sterilized jars and store in the fridge once cooled.
- 1.5kg marrow flesh
- 225g shallots
- 450g onions
- 25g salt
- 25g ground ginger
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 450g soft brown sugar
- 900ml malt vinegar