Sweet mince pies
This Christmas, our beneficiary Marie Curie invited the chef of their Newcastle Hospice to share his recipe for mince pies.
His take on this Christmas classic is the perfect treat for the members of your family with a sweet tooth.
- Place 375g plain flour and 260g softened unsalted butter in a bowl and rub together to a crumb consistency.
- Add 125g caster sugar and 1 large beaten egg and mix together.
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and fold until the pastry comes together, be careful not to over mix.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 10 mins.
- Scoop the large jar of mincemeat into a bowl and add 2 segmented satsumas, 1 finely chopped apple and zest of 1 lemon.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm thick.
- Using a round cutter (about 10cm), cut out 16 bases and place them into muffin trays. Put 1½ tbsp mincemeat mixture into each. Brush the edge of each pie with a little beaten egg.
- 1 large jar mincemeat (about 600g
- 2 satsumas, segmented
- 1 lemon for zest
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- A little icing sugar, for dusting
For the pastry
- 375g plain flour
- 260g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 large egg, plus 1 beaten egg for glazing