Whether you’re celebrating St David’s day or welcoming in the spring, why not get baking and give these delicious Welsh cakes a go!
- Dice the butter and mix it in to the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sultanas, sugar and mixed spice to the mixture.
- Add the beaten egg and bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Allow to rest in the fridge for around 20 minutes, then roll out the dough to around 5mm thick. Put a griddle or frying pan on a low heat on the hob.
- Cut into rounds using a biscuit cutter.
- Spread a small amount of butter in the hot pan and ensure no Welsh cakes stick.
- Cook each Welsh cake for around 4 minutes each side on a low heat, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the cooked Welsh cakes with sugar and serve immediately.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 250g self raising flour
- 125g salted butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1 beaten egg
- 100g sultanas
- 1tsp butter (to lightly grease the pan)
- 1tbsp caster sugar (to sprinkle on top of the cooked Welsh cakes)