Jane Asher’s Coconut Snowball Cookies
Jane Asher, President of our beneficiary Parkinson’s UK, shares her recipe for these Christmas inspired cookies.
These are delicious little cookies and fun to make – if you can face the mess then the children will enjoy joining in – and they do look very cute on the Christmas table. If you have a set of measuring cups and spoons then you can use it for all the ingredients, and I made it all in a food processor, so it’s quick and easy to mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Put a generous third of the coconut into the processor and grind it for a few seconds until it’s a little finer. Add the flour and 25g (1/4 cup) of the icing sugar and pulse it to mix them together. Add the butter and vanilla and pulse again until the mix looks like crumbs
- Bring the mix together into a dough with your hands and roll into 10-12 little balls. Put them onto an ungreased baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes, when they will be firm on the outside but still a little chewy in the centres.
- Let the cookies cool on a rack, while you make the icing. Mix the remaining icing sugar in a small bowl with the milk, being careful to add it little by little until the mixture is flowing but still thick.
- Sprinkle the remaining coconut on a piece of baking paper or foil.
- Using a cocktail stick stuck in the underneath, dip each cookie in the icing, letting the surplus drip off back into the bowl until there is a thin covering left on the cookie. Roll it in the coconut until it is evenly covered. You may find you need to mould it a little with your fingers, and, although the bottom will be flat, you can shape the cookie into a rounder look by using the blade of a knife to tuck in the icing and coconut at the bottom edge.
- Leave the cookies for the icing to dry for half an hour or so. They will keep well in an airtight tin for a few days at least.
- 75g (1½ cups) desiccated coconut
- 100g (1 cup) plain flour
- 125g (1¼) cups icing sugar
- 50g (heaped 1/3 cup) softened butter (I used spreadable)
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsps milk