Lemon oat bars
This month we have another wonderful recipe from District Nurse Team Leader, Vicki at The QNI.
“This recipe is from an American site I found it many years ago so the measurements are in US cups. They are a real favourite for the team and are delicious I bake them in disposable foil trays measuring 9 x 6 inches as the cook evenly and I can recycle the tin afterwards. The recipe calls for fresh lemon zest and juice but if I don’t have fresh lemons I have been known to use bottled lemon juice.”
- Heat oven to Gas 5/ 375/ 190
- Grease the tin well with a little oil or butter.
- Whisk the condensed milk, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl until thickened and put to one side. Mix all the other ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed then place half of the oat mixture in the tin and spread it out, press down well and bake for ten minutes.
- Next spread the lemon mixture over the baked base and then sprinkle on the rest of the oat mixture and press down gently.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so until the edges have started to brown.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 6 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups old fashioned porridge oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 oz butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt