Warming mulled wine
Ho, ho, ho…this recipe from Carers Trust never fails. And it fills the house with a lovely smell….
The following recipe will make six good glasses. For more, simply add another bottle and double the measure of all other ingredients.
- Stud both oranges with the cloves
- Place the clove-studded oranges, cinnamon stick and star anise (if using) in a large saucepan or casserole dish
- Pour in the bottle of red (for a non-alcoholic version, try pomegranate juice)
- Bring to the boil and pour in about 150 grams of the demerara sugar, stirring so the sugar dissolves into the wine
- Reduce to a simmer
- After 5 minutes, taste. Add more sugar if needed
- Simmer very gently for another 15 minutes so the spice flavour from the cloves and cinnamon infuses the wine
- Just before serving pour in a generous glass of brandy (optional)
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 1 bottle of red wine – a young Spanish or Chilean red would be ideal (optional, for a non-alcoholic version, try pomegranate juice)
- 2 oranges
- About 25 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise (optional)
- Demerara sugar
- A good glass of brandy (optional)