Perennial’s recipe of the month for July
Summer is a fantastic time to visit our beneficiary Perennial’s garden York Gate near Leeds, when the kitchen garden is brimming with fresh produce. This cake is made with courgettes fresh from the garden and sold in the garden’s tea room.
Perennial’s gardens are one way that the charity raises awareness of how it helps people in horticulture. People may find themselves in need of Perennial’s help for any number of reasons including redundancy, illness, injury, family bereavement or another life-changing event. Its friendly and experienced team can help individuals and families with free and confidential help, which includes friendly advice, support and financial assistance, for as long as they need it.
For the Courgette and Lime Sponge
- Cream together the margarine and sugar. Add the beaten eggs, one at a time then fold in the flour.
- Grate the courgettes and squeeze out the excess liquid through a clean tea towel or muslin cloth.
- Add to the cake batter with the finely grated zest of the two limes. Fold gently to combine then pour the batter into two greased and lined eight-inch cake tins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven when golden brown and springy to the touch.
- After about 10 minutes remove from the tins and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- When cold, sandwich together with lime curd (see recipe below) and dust the top with icing sugar.
- Decorate with edible flowers and lime zest.
For the Home-made Lime Curd
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, add the sugar, lime juice, and the eggs over a gentle heat.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture is the consistency of custard.
- Leave to cool.
- Use to fill the cake and keep any surplus in a sealed jar in the fridge.
Discover more about York Gate Garden at www.yorkgate.org.uk
Ingredients for the sponge
- 250g margarine
- 250g granulated sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 250g self raising flour
- 250g of grated courgette
- 2 limes (zest only)
Ingredients for the curd
- 75g butter
- 3 large free range eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- Juice of 4 limes (125ml)
- Zest of one of the limes