Not sure what to do with your left over Halloween pumpkins? Why not transform them into a pumpkin pie with this delicious recipe from Bourton House!
- To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and just enough very cold water to gather it into a ball. Roll out the pastry and line a 20cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas mark 4. Prick the bottom of the tart with a fork, cover with greaseproof paper and weigh this down with some rice or baking beans. Bake the pastry case blind for about 20-25 minutes. Take it out of the oven, but leave the oven on, and let it cool slightly, then remove the rice or beans and paper.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Having removed its seeds, steam the pumpkin until tender. Put the pumpkin and all the remaining ingredients except the eggs into a food processor and puree until smooth. Add the eggs and blend. Pour into the pastry case and bake for 55 minutes, until a skewer comes out of the centre clean. Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
Ingredients for the pastry:
- 50g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the filling:
- 450g pumpkin flesh, cut into chunks
- 100g soft brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp honey
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Grated zest of 1 orange and juice of 1/2 orange
- 3 eggs, beaten