Sophie Conran’s carrot cake
Macmillan Cancer Support’s Sophie Conran recommends her carrot cake this September. This is a great recipe if you’ll be taking part in Macmillan’s flagship fundraising event, World’s Biggest Coffee Morning.
Celebrating its 27th year, World’s Biggest Coffee Morning takes place on Friday 29th September and all money raised will enable Macmillan to continue providing emotional, financial, medical and practical support to people affected by cancer.
Sophie says: ‘Coffee morning is a fabulous way to bring friends and family together for a fantastic cause. Last year, our event was filled with both tears and joy as we were honoured to hear the incredible stories from one of Macmillan’s nurses. Everyone was extremely generous and it was so much more than just getting together for a cup of coffee. I’m looking forward to going even bigger and better this year and raising lots of cash for this amazing charity.’
It couldn’t be more simple to get involved. You can register for your free fundraising pack via the website – www.macmillan.org.uk/coffee – or find a Coffee Morning near you that you can get involved in.
For more inspiring recipes to help your World’s Biggest Coffee Morning go with a swing visit: blog.sophieconran.com
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Butter a 12 x 8 rectangular cake tin and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla with an electric whisk for five minutes.
4. Add the marmalade and whisk through.
5. Fold in the flour, bicarb and salt until well combined.
6. Mix in the carrots, apricots and orange juice.
7. Pour into the tin.
8. Cover with foil and bake for an hour or until when poked in the centre with a skewer it comes out clean.
9. For the icing, mix everything together in a bowl using an electric whisk until smooth. Cover with cling film and store in the fridge until needed.
- 250g golden granulated sugar
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon marmelade
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium carrots peeled and grated
- A handful of soft, chopped dried apricots
- The juice of 1/2 an orange
For the icing
- 1 heaped tablespoon mascarpone
- 1 heaped tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 250g tub Ricotta
- Grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar