Sweet potato and lentil soup
The gardens open during our Snowdrop Festival offer visitors the opportunity to see the first signs of spring, and discover the promise of what’s to come. In the cold month of February, visitors will also be able to warm up with a bowl of home-made soup after their visit at some of our gardens.
For a delicious taster of what’s to come, Westview in Leicestershire share the recipe for the soup they will be serving at their garden opening later this month.
- Gently sweat the onion, sweet potato, ginger, garlic and star anise in the sunflower oil for 10 minutes in a large pan with the lid on
- Add the tomato puree, cinnamon, lentils and stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently until the vegetables and lentils are cooked.
- Remove the star anise and blend soup until smooth.
- Check seasoning and stir in lime juice to taste. Serve with a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh mint.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 550g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 150g red lentils
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 or 2 limes
- salt and pepper