Gransnet’s creamy leek and potato soup
Our friends at Gransnet, the busiest social networking site for the over 50s, have shared their recipe for the ultimate winter warmer soup. Using wonderful seasonal vegetables, this creamy leek and potato soup takes under half an hour to make and is best served with crusty bread, topped with plenty of butter.
- In a large, covered saucepan, fry the leeks and potatoes very gently in the butter or vegan margarine for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Continue to cook, the pan still covered, for a further 10 minutes, careful not to brown the vegetables. Stir from time to time to prevent them from sticking to the pan.
- Add the stock or water, stir, and then simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Purée in a blender or food processor, adding the cream if you are using it. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir.
- Serve in warm bowls, sprinkled with a little chopped parsley.
If you enjoyed this content please consider making a donation to help us continue to support our nursing and health beneficiaries.
- 3 leeks (washed and sliced)
- 700g potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 25g butter or vegan margarine
- 1½ pints light vegetable stock or water
- Chopped parsley
- 3-4 tbsp double cream or non-dairy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper